There are many trailer brands and models out there. It can be confusing!
Wouldn’t you want to know which are the best gooseneck trailers for hot shot trucking?
(I don’t need to tell you that a gooseneck trailer is one of the most useful purchases you will ever make for your business. Perhaps it’s only second in importance to your heavy-duty pickup truck.)
So how exactly do you decide which trailer to get?
Well, thankfully, we’ve reviewed dozens of trailers on the market so you don’t have to do all that tedious and research-intensive work yourself.
We understand how busy you are in running a business. We also know how important it is for you to get your money’s worth (and a whole lot more!) — rather than regretting a bad purchase somewhere down the road.
Here then are our seven best gooseneck trailers for hot shot trucking:
7. KAUFMAN DELUXE 30 FT. TRI-AXLE GOOSENECK
This is a heavy-duty gooseneck. The frame consists of a 12-inch I-Beam on the mainframe and neck. There is 3-inch channel stacked cross members on 16-inch centers and 6-inch outer rails.
Instead of the tandem dual axle design, this gooseneck trailer has three 7,000-pound E-Z Lube Axles from Dexter Axles, making it tougher and stronger.
- The wiring on the Kaufman Deluxe is a “sealed wiring harness” by Sealco and has lifetime LED lights. This ensures that your trailer is well-lit and protected from the harsh elements.
- 25,000 GVWR. This allows the trailer to carry much heavier loads.
- No steps. This makes it difficult for you to climb up the trailer.
- Automotive grade enamel finish. It is not as good or as long-lasting as powder coating.
- Slipper Spring Suspension
- Lockable Toolbox
- GVWR: 25,000 pounds
- All-Wheel Electric Brakes
- 5-foot Dovetail
EDITOR’S RATING: 7.5 / 10
Click here to purchase this Kaufman trailer.
6. LOAD TRAIL GH30 – GOOSENECK HEAVY DUTY
This gooseneck trailer is top-of-the-line — one of the best from Load Trail. It has a GVWR of 30,000 and a 12″ I-Beam (22 lbs/ft), making it very tough and sturdy. It also comes with two 10K drop leg spring jacks. These keep the trailer more stable during loading and unloading. This gooseneck trailer is already DOT-compliant for its stop, tail, turn, and clearance LED lights.
- Treated wood floor with excellent traction to keep loads from slipping
- It has radial tires to help minimize bumps
- It has a high GVWR — allowing you a greater load capacity
- 8′ slide-in ramps for easy movement of heavy objects into the trailer
- No powder coat finish
- Available only on dealerships (with high markups)
- Side steps for easy boarding
- Multi-leaf spring suspension to make the trailer stable and durable
- It has side and front tool boxes for extra storage space
- D-rings to secure cargo from falling or slipping out of place
- Dexter axles — these are known to be more durable than other brands
EDITOR’S RATING: 8.0 / 10
Click here to purchase this Load Trail trailer.
5. TEXAS PRIDE 35+5 DECKOVER GOOSENECK
With a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of 24,000 pounds, this trailer can haul even the heaviest of loads — its net payload capacity is 18,100 pounds. This 5,900-pound trailer comes equipped with slipper spring suspension to help ensure a smoother ride, as well as safety features like DOT lighting, emergency breakaway switch, reflective tape, and safety chains.
- The slipper spring suspension helps to make your trips a little smoother.
- It has DOT-approved LED lights, giving you peace of mind as you haul and tow.
- It has a relatively high GVWR, allowing you to carry heavier loads.
- Dealer Markups. The dealers typically charge at big markups.
- Acrylic enamel finish — it doesn’t last as long as powder-coating.
- Triple 8,000-pound axles
- 5-foot spring-assisted mammoth ramps
- 5-foot self-cleaning dovetail
- 12-inch I-Beam on the mainframe, neck, and gooseneck risers
EDITOR’S RATING: 8.2 / 10
Click here to purchase this Texas Pride trailer.
4. TOP HAT TRAILERS HEAVY HAULER GOOSENECK
This is a durable and well-built trailer. On a 16’-20’, the frame is 5 x 3 x ¼. On a 22’-24’, the frame is 6 x 4 x 5/16. The top rail is a 3” square tube. The floor is 2” of treated pine.
It also has a lot of good features. It has DOT reflective tape and sealed flush mount LED lights in rear tailboard. Its axles are Dexter cambered E-Z Lube. Dexter axles are known to be well-crafted so it should serve you for a long time. This trailer’s GAWR is 7,000 lbs.
Regarding the exterior, Top Hat Trailers are painted with Valspar paint. They have standard red, black, storm gray pearl metallic, indigo blue metallic, or Arizona beige pearl. Of course, there are other (optional) colors, but they do cost extra.
- Flush mounted LED lights in the rear tailboard, making your trailer well-lit.
- DOT-approved reflective tape, which is legal across the United States and Canada.
- Dexter axles. These are well-crafted and designed to last.
- No torque tube. (A torque tube prevents frame fatigue or frame flex.)
- Low GVWR — only 14,000 lbs. You can’t load too much on this trailer.
- Dealer markups. You have to buy this trailer from a dealership.
- Valspar paint and topcoat
- Two Dexter cambered E-Z lube axles
- GVWR: 14,000 pounds
- Frame: 5 x 3 x ¼ on 16’-20’ and 6 x 4 x 5/16 on 22’-24’
EDITOR’S RATING: 8.5 / 10
Click here to purchase this Top Hat trailer.
3. PJ TRAILERS LOW-PRO FLATDECK WITH DUALS
This PJ trailer has a number of great features, making it one of the best goosenecks for 2019. First, it has a high GVWR (25,000 lbs.) which allows you to haul heavier loads. Second, it has a five-leaf spring suspension and radial tires, giving you a smoother ride. Third, it uses Dexter brand oil bath axles — one of the best in the industry and designed for heavy-duty use.
- Steps on both sides for easy boarding and offboarding
- Powder coat finish — lasts longer than regular paint
- Double jacks that help stabilize the trailer
- DOT-approved LED lights and reflective tape for improved visibility
- Available only from dealerships — they oftentimes charge a big markup
Torquetube is optional. Needful to make the trailer stable with less flexing and swaying.
- Rub rail and stake pockets to help secure cargo
- Lockable front toolbox for storage
Electricbreakaway kit for safety
- 8′ ramps for convenient loading and unloading
- 5 leaf slipper spring suspension which helps keep the trailer stable
EDITOR’S RATING: 8.7 / 10
Click here to purchase this PJ trailer.
2. BIG TEX 22GN HD TANDEM DUAL-AXLE GOOSENECK
The steel on this high-quality trailer is cleaned to ensure a professional smooth finish. There is also a quality finish applied for a highly decorative and protective finish.
This gooseneck trailer also has a treated floor with wood from a pine or douglas fir. The floor is 2″. The side rails are 6″ channel with rub rail, tie down pockets on 24″ centers, and chain spools. This is to ensure your load can be hauled safely.
- Torque tube on 28’ or longer prevents frame flex and frame fatigue.
- Spare tire. If you do get a flat tire, you can get back on the road ASAP.
- DOT-approved lights — legal across the US and Canada.
- No safety steps. Quite difficult to climb onto the trailer.
- No big ramps. It’s a little harder to load the trailer.
- Dealer markups. You have to buy it from a dealer.
- Two 10K dual-wheel with electric brakes (oil bath) axles
- Quality finish is applied for a highly decorative and protective finish.
- GVWR: 23,900 lbs.
- 12″ I-beam
EDITOR’S RATING: 9.2 / 10
Click here to purchase this Big Tex trailer.
1. GATORMADE 35 + 5 AIR RIDE GOOSENECK TRAILER
This gooseneck trailer is equipped with air ride suspension, so it handles fragile loads better than other types of suspension. You simply adjust the suspension to whatever load you are hauling. It’s also great at towing and offers a smooth ride overall. Its other advantages are fuel economy, versatility in tackling different types of terrain, and less wear and tear.
The Gatormade Air Ride also has a spread-axle design, allowing more flexibility with loading since it can carry more weight. Not only that, its main frame is a 14” I-beam, which is designed to withstand heavy use.
It also has 12K disc brakes and axles from Dexter. These are very dependable. While the 17.5-inch cross-ply tires are an upgrade, they’ll last longer than the standard 16-inch cross-ply tires. The 17.5-inch are commercial grade so you won’t have to replace them as often.
This trailer also comes with other extra features with your safety and comfort in mind. It has two safety steps and big handles for going up and down the board. It also has a DOT-approved light package and a safety breakaway system that are legal in the US and Canada.
- The spread-axle design is more stable and can handle bumps better
- Premium heavy duty Dexter axles
- Powder coat finish — more durable than regular paint
- LED lights — last longer than conventional lights
- Factory direct sales. You get the trailer at a wholesale price.
- DOT-approved light and marking package, legal in the US and Canada.
- 6″ torque tube reduces flexing and swaying
- 40’ overall bed length allows you to haul long loads
- 12K disc brakes. They are dependable and typically last longer than ordinary brakes.
- If you need servicing, you can only do it at the Gatormade factory.
- One factory location. You may have to drive a long distance to the factory or an outlet.
- You can choose your GVWR and downrate if need be
- Work light bar on top of the neck
- Winch plate
- Pre-formed wire harness
- Mud flaps
- Durable powder coating
- DOT-approved light package and safety breakaway kit
- Aerodynamic open headboard for load protection
- 6-inch torque tube
- 14-inch I-beam main frame construction
EDITOR’S RATING: 9.5 / 10
This is the best quality gooseneck trailer for hot shot trucking.
EDITOR’S PICK: GATORMADE 35 + 5 AIR RIDE GOOSENECK TRAILER
All the goosenecks we featured in this review come with a wide range of features to suit your needs. However, the Gatormade Air Ride stands out because of the following advantages:
- Powder coat finish lasts longer than regular paint
- LED light bar, spare tire, and fire extinguisher come standard
- Heavy-Duty 14-inch I-Beam Neck and Frame
- Safety Steps and Grab Handles
- Anti-Flex System with 6” torque tube and frame bracing
- Dual-speed jacks (12K spring-loaded)
- Dexter axles, a premium brand known for durability
- Big ramp system as standard equipment
- Air ride suspension which promotes fuel economy and versatility
Plus, you’re buying factory direct, so you avoid high dealer mark-ups.
In summary, a gooseneck trailer is highly essential for your hot shot trucking business. You must pick a brand that you trust. Let us know what your favorite gooseneck trailer is by commenting down below. Did we miss or forget to review a trailer? Let us know in the comments below.