A hotshot business is not for everyone.

Is it for you? How can you tell? Here’s how:

Be a hotshot driver first. Don’t buy or lease a truck just yet. If you end up not liking it, no harm no foul. You simply walk away and get a different job. But if you like it, then that’s a different story.

What are the requirements? How do you get started? There are four things that you need (one of them may not even apply).

1. You Have to Be at Least 21

This is part of the insurance requirements, especially if you are going to engage in interstate commerce (across state lines).

2. You Have to Get a Medical Card

A medical card usually costs about 150 or 200 dollars. But you need to get a DOT physical.

3. You Need to Have a Good Driving Record

If you don’t, your insurance will be too expensive, and the company may think it wouldn’t be worth it to hire you as a driver.

4. You May Need a CDL (Commercial Driver’s License)

This would depend on the company and on the kind of equipment they have.

Well, those are the three or four things that you absolutely need.

However, there are a couple more things that would be good to have:

5. TWIC — Transportation Worker Identification Credential

To get this, they usually run a background check on you. This would be a good document to present to a company that’s hiring you. You can confidently say that you passed the background check. It also acts as a second form of ID that lets you on to military bases occasionally, and you can even pick up at ports.

6. Passport

You need this just in case you’re high up north next to Canada or down low near Texas near the Mexican border when you have to show proof of your citizenship. Sometimes they ask for your passport, but that’s it.

The Bottom Line

Just give copies of everything to the company, so they have them on file. If you do all of those things, you are ready to become a hotshot driver on somebody else’s truck. Did we miss anything important? Let us know in the comments.